Application Fee Waiver
Application fee waiver requests are available for five groups of domestic applicants and one group of international applicants. If you believe you qualify for an application fee waiver, please check the box on the Program of Study page in the online admissions application and then complete the Application Fee Waiver Request link that will be made available in the menu on the left side of the application page. You should then upload the required documentation listed below. If you are eligible for a fee waiver, the fee waiver option will appear on the payment screen. Your application will remain on file, unprocessed, pending receipt of the required documentation. Upon submission of fee waiver documentation, The Graduate School will review the fee waiver request. If your fee waiver request is approved, the application will be processed and no further action is needed. If denied, you will be notified by email and the application will not be processed until the application fee is received. Fee waiver requests must be received before the deadline for any application to be considered.
- Full-time permanent employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who submit an application and upload a UNC-CH Employee Application Fee Waiverapproved by a central UNC-CH Human Resources Benefits Representative.
- Participants in the McNair Scholars program: In order to qualify for this application fee waiver, applicants must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the semester immediately preceding the academic term for which they are applying. Only a verification letter signed by the current campus McNair Representative will be considered.
- U.S. citizens who meet the following need-based eligibility:
- are currently enrolled in a degree program with no breaks in enrollment from point of entry in a degree-seeking program. In order to qualify for this application fee waiver, applicants must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the semester immediately preceding the academic term for which they are applying.
- have continuously received need-based financial aid
- have had no breaks in financial support since onset of support
- Participants in The Graduate School's Summer Undergraduate Pipeline (SUP) program in conjunction with specific recognized UNC-Chapel Hill Summer Undergraduate Research Programs (examples include but are not limited to CPC, CSS, IDEA, MURAP, Partners, SMART, SOLAR, SPIRE, SURE, SUROC) applying for a graduate program to begin immediately following graduation. To qualify for this application fee waiver applicants must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the semester immediately preceding the academic term for which they are applying. A verification letter signed by a SUP Coordinator and a verification letter signed by the specific Summer Undergraduate Research program director or coordinator will be required to be considered.
- Recipients of the Vietnam Education Foundation fellowship: Only a copy of the official award letter will be considered.
- Participants in the Gates Millennium Scholars program: In order to qualify for this application fee waiver, applicants must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the semester immediately preceding the academic term for which they are applying. Only a verification letter signed by a Gates Millennium Scholars representative will be considered.
We will be happy to consider your waiver request if you can satisfy these criteria and upon receipt of the required documentation. While participation in select scholarship programs or payment waivers granted by other sources do not automatically grant fee waiver eligibility at this campus, we welcome fee waiver requests from participants who meet the above need-based eligibility criteria.
For the need-based application fee waiver category, please present a copy of these instructions to the financial aid office at all institutions that you attended. Request a letter on University letterhead with an original signature certifying the specific items listed above including both your enrollment history and financial aid history from point of entry at the undergraduate or graduate level. Scan and upload this official letter in your online application on the Application Fee Waiver page. No other forms of documentation can be accepted (no form letters, photocopies, or financial aid transcripts, please.)
Upon receipt of your fee waiver request, the Admissions Office will review your materials and mark your application as “paid” or contact you for additional information/payment.
This is a fee waiver process and not a fee payment reimbursement process. Once the application fee is paid by either check or credit card, waiver or reimbursement is no longer an option.