Application Fee Waiver
Application fee waiver requests are available for four groups of domestic applicants and one group of international applicants. When completing the online application, please fill out the Application Fee Waiver section. You should then upload the required documentation listed below. If you are eligible for a fee waiver, the fee waiver option will appear on the payment screen. Your application will remain on file, unprocessed, pending receipt of the required documentation. Fee waiver requests must be received before the deadline for any application to be considered.
- Full-time permanent employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who submit an application and upload a UNC-CH Employee Application Fee Waiverapproved by Employee Benefits.
- Current McNair Scholars applying for a graduate program to begin immediately following graduation with no breaks in enrollment from the undergraduate to graduate level. Only a verification letter signed by the current campus McNair Representative will be considered.
- U.S. citizens who meet the following need-based eligibility:
- are currently enrolled in a degree program with no breaks in enrollment from point of entry at the undergraduate level
- have continuously received need-based financial aid
- have had no breaks in financial support since onset of support
- Participants in the Moore Undergraduate Research Apprentice Program (MURAP) applying for a graduate program to begin immediately following graduation with no breaks in enrollment from the undergraduate to graduate level. Only a verification letter signed by the current MURAP Director or Program Coordinator will be considered.
- Recipients of the Vietnam Education Foundation fellowship. Only a copy of the official award letter will be considered.
We will be happy to consider your waiver request if you can satisfy these criteria and upon receipt of the required documentation. While participation in select scholarship programs or payment waivers granted by other sources do not automatically grant fee waiver eligibility at this campus, we welcome fee waiver requests from participants who meet the above need-based eligibility criteria.
Please present a copy of these instructions to the financial aid office at all institutions that you attended. Request a letter on University letterhead with an original signature certifying the specific items listed above including both your enrollment history and financial aid history from point of entry at the undergraduate level. Scan and upload this official letter in your online application in the Application Fee Waiver section. No other forms of documentation can be accepted (no form letters, photocopies, or financial aid transcripts, please.)
Upon receipt of your fee waiver request, the Admissions Office will review your materials and mark your application as “paid” or contact you for additional information/payment.
This is a fee waiver process and not a fee payment reimbursement process. Once the application fee is paid by either check or credit card, waiver or reimbursement is no longer an option.