North Carolina Excellence Fellowship
Through the North Carolina Excellence Fellowship, we seek to encourage diverse students to apply for doctoral programs.
This fellowship aims to make graduate education more possible and affordable for underrepresented students.
You are eligible if:
- You are applying for a doctoral program
- You identify as a diverse student.
- You are an in-state resident of North Carolina for tuition purposes.
How is diversity defined for this fellowship?
We define diversity very broadly. It is not limited to race or ethnicity, but includes any attribute, background, or life experience that may contribute to an atypical or unique perspective in research and other contributions.
We consider educational experiences, including, when relevant, your class rank, courses, degree(s), educational program, employment, grades, major, standardized test scores, volunteer activities, and work experience.
We also consider life experiences, including their variety, type, uniqueness, duration, and intensity.
There may be other factors that may contribute to diversity including, without limitation, age, economic circumstances, ethnicity, family educational attainment, disability, gender, geographic origin, maturity, race, religion, sexual orientation, social position, and veteran status.
We are looking for:
- Demonstrated ability and motivation to overcome disadvantage or discrimination
- Desire and ability to extend knowledge-based services to enhance the quality of life of all citizens
- Motivation and potential to make a positive contribution to the University and to the University's mission to serve all the people of the State, to enhance the quality of life for all people in the State, and to improve the conditions of human life
This award provides a stipend, tuition, and health insurance for one year.
|Length of support||One 9-month academic year|
Depending on funding, this award may change from year to year.
You cannot apply directly for the NC Excellence Fellowship. Your program may nominate a limited number of applicants. We then select fellows from among nominees from across campus.
Please let your department know if you are interested in being nominated.
If you would like to be nominated, complete your admissions application by December 12, 2017.
If you are offered this award, you must give written acceptance to The Graduate School by April 15th.