The Graduate School:
Who We Are
Who We Are and How We Support You
How we work with you
- Most of the time, you'll be working closely with your Directors of Graduate Studies and Student Service Managers to navigate the logistics of your graduate degree.
- When questions or concerns arise, you can contact staff at The Graduate School for consultation. Depending on your inquiry, you could speak with:
- Our admissions and enrolled students staff about course adds/drops or academic milestones
- Our finance staff about the status of your stipend or fellowship
- Our programming staff about upcoming academic, social, and professional events
- Our communications staff about your upcoming profile in The Graduate School Magazine
- Our administrators about withdrawal, readmission, parental leave, or leave of absence
- Graduate School Professional Development provides opportunities for you to develop academic and professional skills through workshops and seminars as well as programming in collaboration with other units, including the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL), the Center for Faculty Excellence, the Writing Center, and University Career Services.
- CareerWell includes courses and activities designed in response to employer needs and led by professionals in companies, nonprofits, and government agencies. These courses and activities can lead to credentials such as the Graduate Certificate in Business Fundamentals.
Fellowships & Funding
- The Graduate School offers fellowships and grants to eligible graduate students, including dissertation completion, off-campus research, summer research, and other awards for current students.
- The Graduate Funding Information Center (GFIC) supports UNC-Chapel Hill graduate students seeking sources of funding for independent research, collaborative projects, fellowships, program development, and other scholarly activities. While we don’t fund students directly, we provide assistance and instruction to help students identify appropriate funding opportunities and craft strong applications.
Diversity & Student Success
- The Diversity and Student Success program has implemented several initiatives across campus for the success of our graduate student body. Recognizing the intersectionality of identity, students are welcome to take advantage of as many initiatives as appropriate.
- We want students to feel comfortable reaching out to us, sharing their experiences, and asking for help.
- If you have questions, certainly check out our website first — do the legwork!
- Here's how to contact Graduate School staff. Don't hesitate to send an email or pick up the phone — we're pretty friendly!