ARPA Graduate Degree Completion Grant– DGS Instructions
The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund III (HEERF III), authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), Public Law 117-2 and signed into law on March 11, 2021, provides $39.6 billion in support to institutions of higher education to serve students and ensure learning continues during the COVID-19 pandemic. A portion of this funding, allocated to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and totaling $3.5 million, will be administered by The Graduate School in partnership with the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. The ARPA Graduate Degree Completion Grant will support graduate students whose progress toward degree completion has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
All requests must be approved by both the applicant’s primary advisor and Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) before being considered by The Graduate School. The advisor will complete an Advisor Approval Form, which the student will submit as part of their application. Once an application is submitted, the DGS, as listed in The Graduate School’s Contact Directory, will receive an email notification through the Rapid Admin Service Request (RASR) system that an application is ready for review and approval. Please contact email@example.com to allow additional approvers.
Instructions for submitting an approval are below:
- Select “The Graduate School” under the Group Selection tab and access the application materials through the “Approver Inbox” on the left side of the screen.
- Click any part of the application information row to access the application.
- Select the “Routing” tab in the upper menu.
- Click the “Record Approval” button. You have the option to “Approve” or “Return.”
- Select “Approve” for the application to be routed to The Graduate School for consideration.
- Select “Return” to deny the application and return it to the applicant. You must include a reason with this decision.
Once all approvals have been granted, the applicant will receive an email notification informing them of next steps.
Decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
Contact Julie Montaigne, director of fellowships, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or to update your program’s designated approvers for this process.