New Degree Programs
Campus academic program development guidelines must follow the framework provided by the UNC System office and the Board of Governors. The Academic Program Development Procedures can be found at the UNC General Administration (UNC-GA) Academic Planning web site.
Before proposals are submitted to UNC-GA, the campus must thoroughly engage in discussion and feedback sessions surrounding the new degree. The Graduate School helps facilitate the program development process for new masters, doctoral, and first professional degrees, as well as requests for authorization to change the name or title of an existing graduate degree program and to discontinue a graduate degree program.
- Developing New Graduate Degree Programs at UNC Chapel Hill
- Helpful Hints for Academic Planning
- Sample Timeline Doctoral, Research or Applied
- Sample Timeline Masters
- Letter of Intent to Develop New Academic Degree Program
- Request to Establish New Academic Degree Program
- Budget Template
- UNC System Resources for New Degree Planning
The documents above should prove helpful when beginning to plan a new degree. Prior to beginning any formal planning, academic programs should consult with The Graduate School to discuss the proper procedures and documentation necessary for a successful academic planning process. Please contact the Associate Dean for Academics for further information.