I am a graduate student who needs support

If this an emergency situation, including an imminent threat of harm to self or others, call 911 or the UNC Police Department at 919-962-8100.

In addition to the resources provided on this page, you can schedule a meeting to discuss your options with Kate McAnulty and/or Laura Thorp in The Graduate School's Office of Student Affairs.

Student Affairs Team

Kate McAnulty

Kate McAnulty
Senior Associate Dean, Student Affairs
(919) 962-7774
Bynum Hall, Room 203

Laura Thorp

Laura Thorp
Director, Student Affairs
(919) 962-7786
Bynum Hall, Room 207

Aliyah Griffith

Aliyah Griffith
Graduate Research Assistant

I am a graduate student who needs support.

Resolving some issues may require the involvement of more than one of the offices or resources listed below. Reach out to The Graduate School's Student Affairs team if you are unsure which offices/resources are the best fit for your situation.

  • Office of Student Affairs at The Graduate School
    • Student Affairs provides guidance in all aspects of the graduate student experience, including but not limited to academic ineligibility, extension of time to degree, advisor/mentor concerns, interpersonal conflicts, general academic support, leaves of absence/parental leave, and withdrawals.
  • University Ombuds Office
    • The University Ombuds Office is a safe place where all Carolina staff, faculty, students, and administrators are welcome to talk in confidence with an independent and impartial ombudsperson about any campus issue, problem, or dispute.
  • Office of The Dean of Students
    • The Dean of Students Office provides programs and services to assist students, parents, faculty, and staff in working toward their mission of providing individualized support — both personal and academic — that empowers Carolina students to succeed in navigating their university experience.

  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
    • CAPS staff are strongly committed to addressing the mental health needs of a diverse student body through timely access to consultation and connection to clinically appropriate services. CAPS offers online and walk-in assessments to discuss urgent concerns.
      • Call CAPS 24/7 at 919-966-3658
      • Call or text 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
      • Text START to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741

  • Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office (EOC)
    • The EOC handles student, employee, and visitor reports of discrimination and harassment based on age, color, disability, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex (including gender, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, and veteran status.
  • Safe at UNC
    • Safe at UNC offers support for someone who has been impacted by discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, interpersonal (relationship) violence, sexual exploitation, or stalking may need resources and support immediately following an incident, and/or in the weeks, months, and years moving forward.

  • Carolina Cupboard
    • The Cupboard provides food assistance to individuals of the UNC community. Normal operating hours are 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday – Thursday.
    • The Graduate School is pleased to announce that the Graduate Student Center is now a Carolina Cupboard satellite location! We offer meal kits, toiletry kits, baby kits, and cleaning kits designed to bridge the gap. Request a kit by emailing Vanessa Doriott Anderson. Kits are distributed by appointment.
  • Emergency Funds – Office of Dean of Students
    • These funds assist Carolina students by providing financial support when they need assistance with unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or need for temporary housing. Currently enrolled students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources (payment plans, additional student aid, assistance from family/friends, other personal resources).
  • Emergency Funds – Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG)
    • GPSG provides emergency financial assistance to graduate and professional students for unforeseen financial circumstances that could hinder their ability to complete their graduate or professional degrees.
  • Emergency Funds – Office of Scholarships and Student Aid (OSSA)
    • OSSA funds come as interest-free, short-term loans from the University to help enrolled students in need of temporary funds with emergency expenses. Funds provide short-term funding for living expenses, such as food, rent, books, childcare, and more.

  • Campus Health
    • Campus Health partners with the University community to provide expert, student-centered, inclusive, and comprehensive health care and wellness promotion to support academic and personal success. They are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Saturday. Both in-person and telehealth visits are available.

  • Accessibility Resources and Service (ARS)
    • ARS coordinates and implements appropriate reasonable accommodations for applicants and current students with disabilities and medical conditions as they relate to academics, residences, dining, and cocurricular and extracurricular campus activities.

  • Office of Off-Campus Student Life
    • o The Office of Off-Campus Student Life is committed to educating all students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) in life skills related to living off campus and in the community.