Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowship
The Dolores Liebmann Fellowship provides support for graduate students with financial need.
You must apply for the Dolores Liebmann Fellowship through The Graduate School.
You are eligible if:
- You are a fully-enrolled, degree-seeking doctoral student within a residential program administered by The Graduate School.
- You have received a baccalaureate degree at the time the fellowship would commence and have an outstanding undergraduate record.
- You can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- You are a citizen of the United States of America.
- You are of any national descent or background.
The fellowship covers actual tuition costs plus an $18,000 annual stipend to be allocated towards room, board, and ordinary living expenses, as well as any income taxes thereon.
The Graduate School can nominate three students per year for the nationwide competition.
Deadlines are posted on the funding deadlines calendar.
The Graduate School will work with the three nominated students to complete the final application package with all official documents prior to the Liebmann Fund's deadline.
How to Apply
- Prepare a statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and statement of financial need. Arrange for unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts to date, your GRE scores and a letter of recommendation from your advisor. Be sure to follow the application guidelines.
View Frequently Asked Questions about the online award application.
- Submit your materials to The Graduate School Award Online Application.
- Once you submit your application, your advisor will receive an email asking them to submit a letter via the online system.
- At the same time, the fellowship and award approver for your department will receive an email notifying them that you submitted your application.
- Once your letters of recommendation have been submitted, your department may nominate you for the fellowship. If your department selects your application, they must nominate it to The Graduate School by the deadline.
- We will notify awardees in mid-November.
We will not consider your application if you exceed any of the page limits or if you do not follow the proper format.
A complete pre-selection application includes:
- Online Application Statement of Purpose
Format: No more than 3 pages. Double-spaced, 12-point font, 1-inch margins, numbered pages, and your name on each pageInclude:
- 10-15 line abstract that explains, in layman's terms, your degree program, giving emphasis to its eventual intellectual impact on your field of study.
- The relationship between your graduate level study and your intended personal and/or professional goals
Curriculum vitae or resume
Format: No more than 2 pages. 12-point font, 1-inch margins, pages numbered, and your name on each page.Include:
- Relevant honors, awards, and professional activities, including classes you have taught
- List publications, presentations, and posters
Brief statement of financial need
Format: No more than 250 words. 12-point font, 1-inch margins, pages numbered, and your name on each page.Include:
- Summary of debts, loans, and financial aid
Unofficial copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts to date**
For more information on printing unofficial transcripts, please visit the Registrar's website.
Unofficial copies of your graduate exam test scores (GRE, MCAT, LSAT)**
**Unofficial copies (photocopies or printouts) may be used for the internal (pre-selection) application. If you are nominated to submit a final application, you will need official transcripts and graduate exam test scores. All applicants should be prepared to submit all official copies by early January.
Letter of Recommendation from your advisor
Instructions for recommenders:
Each letter of recommendation should be no more than 4,000 characters (spaces included), which is approximately 600 words or one single-spaced page.
Letters of recommendation should be written “To the Fellowship Committee.”
We can only accept letters of recommendation through the online system. Recommenders cannot submit letters directly to The Graduate School or to the student's department.
Graduate School Fellowships Office