Summary of Graduate School Fellowships and Other Awards
- Graduate School Competitive Recruitment Fellowships, Assistantships, and other Scholarship Awards
- Graduate School Awards
- Graduate School Dissertation Fellowships
|Recruitment Award Name||Eligibility 1||Stipend||Tuition 2||Fees||Health Insurance 2||Academic Years of Support 4||Service||Deadline|
|Royster, Reynolds, Pogue, Kenan, Humphreys, & Morehead||Doctoral students||$24,0003||Full tuition 1st and 5th years; tuition remission all years, if needed; prorated in-state tuition years 2-4||Included||Included||Five years||Not 1st and 5th years||January 20, 2017|
|Merit Assistantship-Doctoral||Doctoral students||$20,000||Full tuition||Included||Included||One year 4||No more than 15 hours 5||January 20, 2017|
|Merit Assistantship-Master’s||Master’s students||$14,000||Full tuition||Included||Included||One year 4||No more than 12 hours5||January 20, 2017|
|North Carolina Excellence Fellowship||NC resident, diverse, doctoral students 6||$20,000||Full tuition||Included||Included||One year 4||Non-service||January 20, 2017|
|North Carolina Native American Incentive Grant||NC resident, Native American, doctoral students 6||$20,000||Full tuition||Included||Included||One year 4||Non-service||January 20, 2017|
|Supplemental Recruitment Scholarship Awards|
|Weiss Scholarship Supplemental Awards||Master’s or doctoral students with interest in urban livability||$3,000 Master’s
See note 7
|Included||Included||One year 4||Permitted||January 20, 2017|
- For these purposes, “doctoral” is used to refer to students in a doctoral degree program or a master’s-then-doctoral program for which the doctorate is the intended degree. “Master’s” refers to a student enrolled in any terminal, professional, or stand-alone master’s program.
- Instate tuition and health insurance costs are divided pro-rata amongst all stipend sources.
- Student with Royster Society of Fellows awards receive a stipend of at least $24,000, tuition, fees and health insurance over 12 months, for each of 5 years. The Graduate School provides entire stipend, tuition, fees, TR, and health insurance for the 1st and 5th years. During the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th years the program must provide stipend support (RA or TA) of at least the minimum rate, as required for tuition support, currently in effect at that time. As this required minimum stipend level increases, the stipend provided these fellows will increase. In addition to a stipend of at least the minimum level from your program, fellows also receive a stipend supplement of $8,300 during years 2,3, and 4. Programs may supplement these amounts with additional support. These Fellows also receive $2,000 travel funding during the five year fellowship period.
- All benefits described here are provided during the 9-month academic year. Graduate programs may provide summer support or supplement stipends.
- In order for new students to be most successful during their first year of graduate studies, we encourage there be minimal service expectations of these beginning students, unless it is a critical part of their training.
- Priority is given to applicants for whom their department makes a commitment for future funding (including teaching or research assistantship). Please note that these awards are to recruit diverse applicants, defined broadly. Available to North Carolina residents only.
- Weiss Supplemental Award requires a base stipend of support (TA or RA) from student's department at the minimum stipend level, as required for tuition support. The Graduate School will provide a supplemental stipend of $3,000 for master's students and $5,000 for doctoral students. Fee and tuition remission are provided by the Graduate school. Instate tuition is prorated between the Graduate School and graduate program.
|Award Name||Eligibility 1||Award Amount||Tenure of Support||Deadline|
|Impact and Horizon Award 2||Doctoral students
Graduates (within one year)
|$500||One time award||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Distinguished Dissertation Award 4||Doctoral students 3
Graduates (within one year)
|$1,000||One time award||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Graduate Tuition Incentive Scholarship 5||Doctoral students
|Contingent upon availability of Graduate School funds||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Graduate Student Opportunity Fund||Doctoral students
|Contingent upon availability of Graduate School funds 7||One time award||No Deadline 6|
|Graduate Student Transportation Grant 8||Doctoral students
|Domestic US: $400 maximum
International: $1,000 maximum
|One time award||No Deadline 6|
- For these purposes, “doctoral” is used to refer to students in a doctoral degree program or a master’s-then-doctoral program. “master’s” refers to a student enrolled in any terminal, professional, or stand-alone master’s program.
- Eligible research will demonstrate an impact, direct or indirect, on NC citizens. Eligible students include those who have graduated within the past academic year.
- Eligible students include those who graduate within time-frame detailed in the application.
- One award in each of the following four areas: "Social Sciences;" "Humanities & Fine Arts;" "Biological & Life Sciences;" "Mathematics, Physical Sciences & Engineering."
- Students must receive a competitively-awarded external fellowship in support of their thesis or dissertation research, which is at least the recommended minimum RA stipend levels.
- Reviewed upon receipt.
- Designed to cover small and non-recurring unusual academic expenses
- The transportation grant is only for airfare, train fare, bus fare, personal car (mileage), taxi, or shuttle bus, up to the appropriate maximum.
|Fellowship Award Name||Eligibility1||Stipend||Tuition||Fees||Health Insurance 2||Academic Years of Support||Service||Deadline|
|Summer Research Fellowship||Doctoral students||$5,000||n/a||n/a||n/a||Summer||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Off-Campus Dissertation Fellowship||Doctoral students||$10,000||Full Tuition 3||Included||Included||1 semester||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Lurcy Fellowship 4||Doctoral students||$20,000||Full Tuition 3||Included||Included||1 year||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Friederich Fellowship 5||Doctoral students||$20,000||Full Tuition 3||Included||Included||1 year||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Dissertation Completion Fellowship||Doctoral students||$18,000||Full Tuition 3||Included||Included||1 year||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
|Royster Society of Fellows Dissertation Completion Fellowships||Doctoral students||$20,000 6||Full Tuition 3||Included||Included||1 year||Non-service||See funding deadlines calendar|
- For these purposes, “doctoral” is used to refer to students in a doctoral degree program or a master’s-then-doctoral program. “Master’s” refers to a student enrolled in any terminal, professional, or stand-alone master’s program.
- Students must complete the Student Health Eligibility Form
- Student must be a fully-enrolled, degree-seeking, on-campus student, and is required to register for 3 credit hours of 994 only.
- Only available to doctoral students for study in France.
- Preference is given to doctoral students who need to study or conduct research in Switzerland. Must be from the following programs: History, Art History, Music or Humanities
- Also receives a $1,000 travel allowance to cover travel costs associated with presenting research.