Faculty Award for Excellence in Graduate Student and Academic Program Support
The Faculty Award for Excellence in Graduate Student and Academic Program Support recognizes graduate faculty currently in the Director of Graduate Studies role, who provide outstanding support for graduate programs and their students.
The criteria for this award are as follows:
- Program Support
- Engaging in critical and thoughtful discussions regarding program improvement, resource allocation, and student advising and mentoring
- Cultivating and contributing to a climate of inclusion and support for faculty, students, and staff from diverse backgrounds with varied experiences
- Student Development
- Providing students with constructive feedback and thoughtful guidance in dealing with academic challenges, defining professional goals, and accessing relevant resources
- Helping students develop a sense of voice, agency, and community within their academic program and ultimately their disciplinary field
- Faculty Engagement
- Working with program faculty and staff to ensure clear and consistent communication, interpretation, and application of policies and procedures
- Promoting faculty consideration and discussion of student concerns and ideas as related to program expectations and needs
The nomination process is as follows:
- A letter no longer than 500 words, prepared by graduate students, and commenting on the nominee’s abilities in the relevant criteria areas. This nomination may be submitted by a single student or a group of students.
- One letter that expresses faculty support for the nomination from the program director or chair.
- Two additional letters of support may be submitted with the nomination. These letters can come from a student services manager and/or another campus representative (outside The Graduate School).
- A nomination packet should be submitted to GraduateSchoolDean@unc.edu in a single packet consisting of:
- student nomination
- faculty letter of support
- up to two additional letters of support
All graduate students are invited to nominate current Directors of Graduate Studies for this award. The deadline for nominations is Friday, February 14, 2020, 5:00 PM.
This award will be presented during the Annual Graduate Student Recognition Celebration during Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week in the first week of April.
For additional information, contact GraduateSchoolDean@unc.edu.
- Erica Johnson, Global Studies