Policies regarding tuition and fee support are being updated. Please check back later. If you have a specific question, please contact The Graduate School or your graduate program.

Tuition Remission and In-State Tuition Awards

Funding opportunities for UNC-CH graduate students include:

Most of these awards provide full tuition support through tuition remission and in-state tuition awards. All teaching and research assistantships, as well as most fellowships and traineeships, provide health insurance.

Types of Tuition Support

Tuition Remission
A tuition remission reduces your tuition to the in-state rate. For out-of-state students only.

In-State Tuition Award
An in-state tuition award provides full support for the cost of in-state tuition. This benefit includes tuition only, not student fees.

Tuition Support for In-State and Out-of-State Students
Tuition support varies based on in-state or out-of-state residency status.

Out-of-state students
Out-of-state students may receive both a tuition remission award as well as an in-state tuition award. These two funding sources, used in combination, provide full tuition support.

Out-of-state students must receive a full in-state tuition award to be eligible for tuition remission.

In-state students
In-state students may receive an in-state tuition award.

See Graduate Student Handbook for additional information.


Please remember that while you may meet the eligibility requirements, tuition awards are based on available funding and are not guaranteed outside of an official departmental commitment.

To be eligible for an in-state tuition award or tuition remission:

Enrollment Requirements

You must be a full-time, on-campus, degree-seeking doctoral or master's/doctoral sequence students. You may also be eligible if you are a student in a terminal master's program.

You must be enrolled full-time for the entire semester to be eligible for tuition support.

A full-time student is one who is matriculated and for each term:



There is no minimum credit-hour requirement during the summer sessions (neither tuition remission nor in-state tuition awards are available for summer enrollment).

Assistantship Requirements

In order to be eligible for instate and tuition remission awards, a student must meet certain eligibility requirements, including earning a minimum stipend for work performed with an appropriate job code. You must hold the assistantship for the entire semester. Definitions of these positions are below:

* Students in all of the above job codes EXCEPT Graduate Assistant* are eligible for tuition awards and the jobs will feed to GradStar for eligibility determination purposes.

Appointments must be in effect for the entire semester for the student to be eligible for, and to retain tuition remission or an in-state tuition award for the relevant semester.

Minimum Stipend Requirement

In order to qualify for an in-state tuition award or tuition remission, you must receive a minimum RA/TA stipend.

Minimum Stipend 2018-2019
Doctoral programs and Master’s/Doctoral Programs:
$7,850/semester (RAs and TAs)
Terminal Master’s Programs:
$5,700/semester (RAs and TAs)

Please note: per Federal policy, if a student is eligible for an in-state tuition award, the funding source of the student’s stipend is required to pay the tuition. If the student’s stipend is from a state source, the tuition will be paid from the designated tuition fund.

Duration of Support

Tuition Support awards come from a fund that is specifically designated for graduate tuition known as the “designated tuition fund.” This fund is administered by The Graduate School.

Maximum Duration of Tuition Support
Doctoral programs and Master’s/Doctoral Programs:
10 semesters
Terminal Master’s Programs:
4 semesters

If you complete a degree in one academic program, then enroll in another academic program, OR, if you change academic programs without receiving a degree, you are only eligible for the maximum semesters of eligibility as noted above during your enrollment at the University, or no more than ten semesters.

If you are no longer eligible for tuition support from the designated tuition fund, there may be other resources available from state, private or grant funds at the departmental level. If such funds are available, you may use those funds to pay the equivalent of in-state tuition, as long as you are paid a salary from the funding source and any payments meet specific criteria of those funding sources.

Deadlines for Eligibility

Appointment Deadline

You should be appointed to your assistantship at the beginning of the relevant semester, preferably no later than the first day of classes (as indicated in the University Registrar's Calendar.)

Registration Deadline

You should be registered no later than the last day to register/add classes (as indicated in the Academic Calendar).

Contact Us

Graduate School Fellowships Office