Graduate Student Research Travel Exceptions
Consistent with UNC System guidance, Carolina is prohibiting University-affiliated international travel. For graduate students conducting research critical to their degree program, exceptions to this travel restriction can only be granted by the Provost, using the process outlined below. (Professional students seeking exceptions for practica or other critical training programs should use a separate approval process posted on the UNC Global website.)
Two Important Notes for All Approved University-Related Travel
- All individuals who are approved for any of the categories of university-related travel below will be asked to sign an assumption of risk & release of liability document prior to travel.
- All international travelers must be enrolled in the international health, evacuation, and repatriation insurance program established by the UNC System Office and administered by GeoBlue. To enroll, please contact Janet Hoernke in Risk Management Services at 919-962-6681 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students should review the travel exception policies and procedures and note that the request must include a letter of support from their advisor (uploaded as an attachment). Elements of the exception request also include:
- The specific dates, routes, and destinations of proposed travel;
- The purpose of the proposed research and an explanation as to why the work can’t be fulfilled remotely via video conferencing or through other electronic means;
- Whether the proposed travel is related to COVID-19 or other pressing public health matters;
- A summary of how the trip will explicitly advance the research mission of the university; and
- A description of travel risks and how the traveler proposes to mitigate those risks during the trip and upon return to campus.
Requests will be routed to the student’s program/department and then School/College, with final approval by the Provost. The Provost’s decision is final and cannot be appealed.
Please direct questions to email@example.com.