Graduate Student Center Use Guidelines
The Graduate Student Center (GSC) is maintained by The Graduate School for informal to semi-formal meetings or events related to graduate and professional student education on campus. Please adhere to the following guidelines.
The primary purpose of the GSC is programming by The Graduate School. Graduate School meetings and programs receive priority and The Graduate School reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of requests for use of the facility.
The GSC is available for graduate, professional and post-doctoral student group events and graduate education events on a reservation basis. The GSC is not intended for regular classroom instruction for courses not affiliated with The Graduate School.
The GSC is accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Hours of Availability
The Graduate Student Center is available between 8:30am and 7pm, Monday-Thursday, and 8:30am to 4pm on Fridays. Reservation times must include set-up and clean-up time. For example, if you have requested an hour-long event, the latest time that the event can begin is 5:30pm. The event will end at 6:30pm, leaving 30 minutes for clean-up time. The GSC Director will approve requests for events scheduled after hours on an individual basis.
Main Conference Space:
Equipped with internet connection, projector, screen, and whiteboards. You may bring your own laptop. The space can be configured seminar style (up to 70 seats in rows, no tables), classroom style, or for small working groups (up to 45 seats with tables).
The individual making the reservation assumes full responsibility for the use of the room, This includes arranging the furniture, returning the room to its original condition, cleaning up the rooms/food/refrigerator, and leaving it in a neat and usable condition. The individual making the reservation is also responsible for any damage to facilities or equipment. Upon arrival, if the space is not in its expected condition, immediately contact The Graduate School to notify us to inspect the space.
The Graduate School reserves the right to ask requesting units to provide security for their functions.
Requests for reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Email your reservation request to the GSC Director at least three (3) business days, but no more than six months before the requested dates. Reservation requests are subject to room availability and the Director’s approval. If the Director approves the reservation request, they will send you an email confirmation.
By state law all functions which serve alcoholic beverages must follow University guidelines detailed in the University's Alcohol Policy. The Requesting Permission to Serve Alcoholic Beverages at University-Sponsored Events form is available from the University Policy site.
There is no parking available for general use except for loading and unloading. Metered parking is available on Cameron Ave.
Public parking is also available on Franklin Street as well as nearby University Visitor Parking pay lots. Check the UNC Public Safety Department parking maps for more information.
The GSC is accessible by ramp using the covered back entrance.
Conditions and Limitations for Use
All reserving persons or groups must follow the rules and conditions for use of the GSC facility.
- Food and Beverages: Food and beverages are allowed in the GSC. No alcoholic beverages may be served without express written permission from the Office of the Chancellor. The kitchen is available for use and includes a fridge, freezer, sink, and microwave. All food must be removed after each event.
- Furniture: The reserving person or group is responsible for arranging the tables and chairs as needed for the event then returning the tables and chairs to the original arrangement. (See sign placards in the GSC illustrating the default furniture arrangement.)
- Signage: Do not place signs on walls, windows, or doors.
- Smoking: Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the GSC, including the outdoor patio area.
- Technology: A projector, laptop (wireless enabled) and screen are available for use. A hand-held microphone or lapel microphone is also available. The GSC is connected to UNC's eduroam wireless signal.
Be aware that the acoustics of the space may make it challenging to capture sound. GSC staff are not responsible for assisting with technology needs or troubleshooting.
- Cleaning: The reserving person or group is responsible for returning the facility to its original condition. All spaces used for the event must be left in a clean and mutually agreed upon condition. Trash, bottles, cans, and decorations must be disposed of at the end of the event. Trash must be removed immediately after the event is complete. Dumpsters are located at the back of the GSC parking lot. Additional garbage bags are located at the bottom of each trash receptacle.
Failure to leave the space as it was found will result in forfeiture of future use privileges for the academic year.
Graduate Student Center Director:
Vanessa Doriott Anderson, Ph.D.
211A W. Cameron Ave. CB#5492
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-5492