Graduate Student Research Travel Exceptions - Student Instructions
All exceptions for university-affiliated travel by graduate students must be pre-approved by the provost with a favorable recommendation from the traveler’s 1) department chair or director of graduate studies; and 2) appropriate senior administrator (school dean or associate dean).
Requests for exceptions should be submitted via the Rapid Admin Service Request (RASR) system. Applicants should select “The Graduate School” under the Group Selection tab and complete the “Graduate Student Request for Travel Restriction Exception” form.
If you are unable to access the RASR system, please contact Julie Montaigne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application form requires the following information:
- The specific dates and destinations of proposed travel;
- The purpose of the proposed research and an explanation as to why the work can’t be fulfilled remotely via video conferencing or through other electronic means;
- Whether the proposed travel is related to COVID-19 or other pressing public health matters;
- A summary of how the trip will explicitly advance the research mission of the university;
- A description of travel risks and how the traveler proposes to mitigate those risks during the trip and upon return to campus;
- Acknowledgement of the traveler’s Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability
- A signed Advisor Approval Form (uploaded as an attachment); and
- A copy of a proposed travel itinerary detailing the travel route (uploaded as an attachment).
Applicants can follow the approval progress of their application in the RASR system under “My Forms.”
If you are an approver for this process, please visit Travel Exceptions - Approver Instructions for more information.